ACUMEN stands for Aspire to College or University: Meet your Education Nexus. The ACUMEN Scholarship seeks to provide scholarships to students from Youth Spirit Artworks (YSA) in Berkeley and Oakland Tech High School and MyClymonds High School who face serious financial challenges and who are committed to attend college.
This scholarship will award up to 3 new scholarships each year. Awards for students attending 2-year colleges will be $5,000 each and awards for students attending 4-year colleges will be $8,000 each. Awards can cover educational costs including tuition, fees, books, and supplies.
Current ACUMEN scholars are invited to renew their awards each year of college by demonstrating "good standing."
NOTES FOR 2023:
The ACUMEN Scholarship and the East Bay Community Foundation recognize that disruptions and challenges related to the pandemic are ongoing, especially for students, families, and educators. As a result, the temporary adjustments made to the ACUMEN Scholarship for the 2021 and 2022 cycles are being extended for the 2023 cycle. We hope these adjustments will provide encouragement to potential applicants and will lessen the burden on recommenders. The following 2 adjustments apply to the 2023 cycle:
- Letter of Recommendation: Only 1 recommendation is required; recommenders will be asked to provide brief statements of support rather than a full letter.
- Optional short answer question regarding impact of the Covid-19 pandemic: Applicants will be invited to write about any impacts that they have faced due to the pandemic. We want applicants to have an opportunity to share their experiences and provide context that may not otherwise get presented.
These adjustments will be re-evaluated before future application cycles to determine if they are still appropriate.
Eligibility requirements for new, first-time applicants:
- Applicants must be:
- current participants at Youth Spirit Artworks (YSA) in Berkeley who are graduating from high school; OR
- active participants and alumni at YSA who have graduated from high school and (a) not started college or (b) only attended community college (4 year college students are not eligible for first-time applications); OR
- current, graduating seniors at Oakland Tech High School in Oakland
- current, graduating seniors at McClymonds High School in Oakland
- Must be attending either a 2-year or 4-year college or university in the upcoming fall term
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Must be eligible for federal free and reduced school lunch program
Winners will be selected by a committee based on the following priority areas:
- Financial need
- Demonstrated qualities such as curiosity, perseverance, initiative, activism, empathy
- Sense of purpose and motivation for educational pursuits
- Desire to contribute to community, cultural, societal welfare
Renewal applications can also be submitted by current ACUMEN Scholarship recipients through this platform.
Detailed instructions are on the application.
Tasks that can be started early:
Award announcements will be made via email no later than May 1.
This scholarship also strongly encourages its scholars to take advantage of academic, social, and/or cultural support services at their higher education institution. Students who do so will be eligible to renew their awards in future years.
For technical assistance, please refer to the FAQ Page where you'll find lots of helpful instructions and tips.
For questions about the content or requirements of the ACUMEN Scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org