ASCEND is a nonprofit sustainability initiative Accelerating and Stabilizing Communities through Equitable Nonprofit Development. Under this framework, ASCEND:BLO was designed to specifically support Black-led Organizations (BLOs: registered, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that have Black staff and/or Board leadership at the highest level). The ASCEND:BLO Stabilizer is a unique opportunity for 5 BLOs in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara Counties to receive 3 years of guidance and support as they undergo a planned executive leadership transition within the next 2 years. The ASCEND:BLO Stabilizer is designed for mature (10+ years in existence) community anchors that demonstrate an openness and readiness to being highly transparent while going through the 3-year process. After acceptance into the program and upon completion of an initial assessment each organization will receive a $15,000 stipend in honor of the time required. From this assessment we will co-design a comprehensive three-year transition plan to support the multi-level capacity building related to the transition, executive search, etc. Additionally, each organization will receive an investment of up to $100,000 per year for three years to support the implementation of the transition plan.
Leadership transitions provide a rare opportunity for organizational self-analysis and offer the potential for the organization to pivot or re-position itself for the evolving needs of the community it serves. The Stabilizer model strives to ensure selected BLOs can leverage the opportunity inherent in transition while attending to the needs of everyone involved and the community it serves. Based on and informed by the Bridges Model, the ASCEND:BLO Stabilizer will use an intentional, three-phase process that roughly corresponds to the three phases of transition: Ending/Letting Go, The Neutral Zone and The New Beginning.
Please note the following important information below:
- All applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, December 2, 2019 and will be reviewed by a committee comprised of a few members of the ASCEND: BLO Funders' Collaborative and East Bay Community Foundation staff
- The application must be submitted online
- We estimate it will take approximately 1 hour to fill in your responses, however this could vary widely. We recommend reviewing all of the initiative information and application questions first so that you can plan your time accordingly.
- A webinar will be offered to provide detailed information on the Stabilizer program and to answer questions. Details below.
- By December 20, 2019, the committee will select a group of finalists to invite to in-person conversations that will be conducted by January 7, 2020
- The full Funders' Collaborative will affirm the committee's recommendations and the 5 BLOs selected to the cohort will be announced by January 15, 2020
- Each organization will have a core team of 4 committed to participate in the process and cohort (outgoing leader, Board member, staff person, and community representative who can be a client, volunteer, program participant, or other community supporter not related to any of the other three folks)
- We will have a two-day kickoff retreat in February 2020 to understand the goals and participation requirements of the Stabilizer, get grounded in the Bridges model, and share the assessments with one another to develop community and peer support and learning. After that we will have three cohort meetings between July and December 2020 with each day focused on different aspects of transition capacity building and for the organizations to do peer learning and support.
Questions about the ASCEND:BLO application?
- Visit www.ebcf.org/ascendblo for more information about the initiative
- Join us for a webinar to learn more about the ASCEND:BLO Stabilizer and its application and review process on Friday, November 15, 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM (stay tuned for information on how to join the webinar)
- For content questions about the application, email us at email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22, 2019
- For technical questions about the platform, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: We cannot guarantee responses to last-minute inquiries on the day of the application deadline.
INSTRUCTIONS for ONLINE APPLICATION: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BEGIN.
1.) If you have never used the SurveyMonkey Apply platform you will need to register and create a profile first, before you can access any applications. Click on the green Register button in the top right corner of the screen. If you have used this platform before, click Log In and enter your credentials.
2.) An email address is required to register and create your profile. The platform will ask you to verify your email by sending an email to the address you provide. If you do not get an email, go back and correct the email you entered or check your spam folder. When you get the verification email, follow the instructions to verify.
*If you still have trouble verifying your email, click on the "i" icon in the top right corner to access Support.
3.) When you create a profile, you must select if you are an Organization or an Individual. This will determine which programs/applications you get access to on the platform. Only Organizations can apply for the ASCEND:BLO Stabilizer.
4.) After creating your profile as an Organization, go to the Programs page to see active Programs. All active Programs are listed on this page with a short summary; click More for detailed information. Click Apply to access the application form. If you do not see the Apply button on a specific program, that indicates that you cannot apply or the application is inactive.
⇨NOTE: Each time you log in, check the top Left corner of the screen to verify if you are interacting as an Individual (indicated by your name) or an Organization (indicated by the Organization name). Default= Individual. The status that is selected will determine if you get access to a particular Program application.
5. ) When you're ready to submit: a) Verify that you have completed all sections/tasks of the application (green check marks); b) Make sure you have verified your email address; c) Click on the Review & Submit button on the left hand side of the screen (you may need to scroll down; button is grayed out until all tasks are marked as Complete). You will be taken to a screen to Review your application; d) When ready click Submit; d) You will receive a confirmation email after successful submission.
We highly recommend that you take a few minutes to review the FAQ pages below, especially if you are a first-time user of this platform.
Please read the Applicant FAQ here.
Please read the Organization FAQ here.