Thomas J. Sweeney Scholarship
The Thomas J. Sweeney Scholarship Fund at the East Bay Community Foundation was established to honor the memory and contributions of a great labor leader of the IBEW Local 595. Tom Sweeney was the Business Manager/Financial Secretary of Local 595 for 28 years, and under his leadership, Local 595 established pension programs and health and welfare benefit programs that are the model for many Labor Unions today. Tom’s lifelong work for the IBEW and Local 595 left a legacy of accomplishment that is deeply appreciated by all who knew him.
For 2019, there will be 26 awards granted to successful applicants. Up to thirteen awards for $2,000 each will be for graduating high school students who have been accepted at a college or university. Up to an additional thirteen awards of $1,000 each will be for students currently enrolled in a post-secondary educational institution, including a California state-approved apprenticeship program.
- Member or dependent of a member of IBEW Local 595 accepted and/or enrolled in a post-secondary educational institution, including a state-approved apprenticeship program
- Possess a cumulative, unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher, or an academic average of 95% or higher
- If enrolled in an apprenticeship program, include current semester school start letter, a cumulative on-the-job evaluation of 90% or higher, in addition to an academic average of 95% or higher
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- School administrator or teacher recommendation
- Acceptance to a college or university; or current enrollment in a post-secondary educational institution
- Membership or dependent status of the IBEW Local 595
- Scholarships will go to applicants with the highest cumulative academic reports
This application and the required attachments must be submitted by May 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM. A selection committee will review the applications. The East Bay Community Foundation will notify the applicants on or before July 1, 2019.
- Completed Thomas J. Sweeney Scholarship Application Form
- Letter of recommendation from a school administrator or teacher
- Letter of acceptance from college or university; or proof of current enrollment in a post-secondary educational institution
- Copy of current IBEW Local 595 Dues Receipt
- Official or unofficial High School transcript
- Post-secondary educational official or unofficial transcript
For application information contact the EBCF Scholarship Administrator at (510) 208-0817